I can organize walking, cycling and wine tours in these regions, including wine tours of La Rioja. Trips can vary in length from one day, weekend or up to one or two weeks.
Walking and cycling trips can be coastal from San Sebastian (Donostia in the local Basque language) towards Bilbao, or inland in the spectacular Basque countryside. They can be the less strenuous valley walks or can take in the more challenging Basque peaks, including the highest Basque Mountain Atzgorri and lovely Chindoqui (Txindoqui) and easier Adarra, all with spectacular views, weather allowing! I can also organize trips to nearby France, including St Jean Pied de Port, Biarritz, St Jean de Luz and Lourdes.
We can also visit some of the lovely Basque beaches from La Concha in San Sebtastian to more open beaches westwards towards Bilbao.
Also interesting to visit are:
- Basondo, a nature reserve for wild animals
- The historial town of Guernica, made famous by Picasso’s highly acclaimed painting depicting some of the atrocities of the Spanish Civil War (that presently resides in Madrid at the Galleria Reina Sofia).
- Castle Butron a lovely 13 century castle next to the Butron river.
- In Bilbao we will visit the old area and have time to visit the world famous Guggenheim museum.
- In Navarra there are many areas to walk. They include the Valley de Irati , and the must visit to Pamplona, famous for its ‘Running of the Bulls’ festival in July. For that festival I can organise accommodation and transport each day required to and from Pamplona. Accommodation is difficult during this festival in Pamplona but there are lovely rural hotels in nearby villages, campsites, plus accommodation in beautiful San Sebastian on the coast. The Festival generally runs from about the 6th until the 14 of July.